Alarm and Light Emitting Diode for Electricity Restoration Monitoring: A Tool to Prevent Energy Wastage in Nigeria (Published)
The power restoration alarm system is a monitoring device that triggers the buzzer and turns ON light emitting diode when the mains supply is restored or available at the cut-out board or unit. This device produces an audible sound and colour lighting which attracts the attention of the electricity user to either switch from direct current supply or connect to the mains. The amount of energy consumed at our homes and offices is measured in wattage. The amount of energy used to actuate the alarm and LEDs is very small when compared to the incandescent lamp/bulb that uses wire/filament. The incandescent bulb uses 5 % of the energy that flows through it to turn ON the bulb and the remaining 95 % is converted to heat energy by the system. This energy that is converted to heat is a huge loss of electricity that is not fully utilized. The monitoring device consumes low wattage and this reduces the energy waste and the wattage billing on the analog and digital prepaid meter. The device will enable the electricity consumer to prevent or reduce energy lost at cut-out unit. Power monitoring and control device for home and commercial networks is becoming important to prevent energy waste for electric appliances. This device is easy to maintain and cost effective when it is properly install.